Highlights of the Months Ahead
I write this on Monday, a fine first day of Fall, my favorite season. It’s a perfect day to be out on the golf course, which is exactly where many of our parishioners are right now, playing in the 10th Annual St. Anthony Golf Tournament, a terrific fundraiser for the parish as well as for Caroline House. I’m usually out there with them (not actually playing, mind you, since there’s that standing, tri-state prohibition against me wielding a golf club at any private or public course…) delivering beer and wine and snacks to players in need as they make their way through the links. This year, because my sprained ankle is still recovering, I figured it might not be such a good idea to be jumping in and out of a golf cart for four hours. Let me use this time, instead, to give you some highlights of the months ahead here at the parish:
- Fairfield University offers several lectures every year that are open to the general public and always worth attending. Check out the poster on the bulletin board (or google “Fairfield University Center for Catholic Studies”) and see if something interests you. Next on the list (October 1st, at 730pm) is the 14th Anne Drummey O’Callaghan Lecture on Women in the Church which will feature Natalia Imperatori Lee, Ph.D., from Manhattan College. I mention this because our own Dr. Eleanor Sauers has been asked to introduce the speaker that night (an honor in itself!).
- Edwina Gately is a renowned author, speaker, and mover and shaker! Look her up and you’ll she why I am delighted to say that she will visit our parish on October 17 and 18. Friday night is open to the whole parish. Come and be enriched by the faith story of this amazing women. Saturday is a 9am to 3pm day of reflection for women and reservations are required.
- Our Broadway friends will be back! On October 25th at 730pm, we will host our third “Broadway in the Basement” an evening of top-notch professional entertainment and some great food to raise some money a for charity which will be announced next week.
- The seasonal music series kicks off on November 2, at 5pm in the church with a “Candlelight Quintet” and a wine and cheese reception to meet the musicians afterward.
- The Good News Gospel Choir directed by Chris Coogan has asked if St. Anthony’s would provide the space for their annual fundraising concert. We are happy to host our old friends in the this terrific Spirit-filled choir on Sunday, Nov. 16, at 3pm.
- Parish Thanksgiving Mass will be on Wednesday, November 26 at 730pm in the church.
- Advent wouldn’t be the same without our friend and parishioner Gregory Norbet to lead us in in an evening of prayerful and peaceful reflection on Sunday, December 7. We hope he’ll bring all those icons again and transform the church into a glimpse of heaven.
Add Halloween (a Friday night! Full-sized candy bars! Does it get better than that?!!), the Giving Tree (the first few weeks of Advent), the Parish Christmas Party (December 14), and we’ll be singing Silent Night before you know it. I wonder if it’s snowing on the golf course……